Saturday, January 2, 2021

December Wrap up #2

 So I decided to read a lot of graphic novels to try to bust out of my slump. It worked somewhat. Here's what I read since my last update.

I picked up the first three volumes of Avatar the Last Airbender: The Promise by Gene Luen Yang. This picked up right after the tv show and was pretty amusing although I felt the resolution was a bit of a cop-out. However, they hinted towards trying to find Zuko's mother in the next volume so I'm keen to pick it up. I gave these volumes 3 stars.

Then I read The Prince and the Dressmaker by Jen Wang. This is another graphic novel about a prince who likes to wear dresses and his dressmaker who creates the most fabulous outfits. I liked the representation and positive messages about embracing yourself but I felt the ending was very unrealistic, even for a fairytale. I gave it 3 stars.

I checked out Waves by Ingrid Chabbert. This is a graphic novel based on her experience of trying to get pregnant but miscarrying halfway through her term. This focuses on the grief that came like waves and how she found her way through them by writing. It is a beautiful and sad story. I gave it 4 stars.

I also read Princess Princess Ever After by Katie O'Neill which was a queer fairytale about a princess who saves another princess locked in a tower. It was precious and had lots of positive messages. I gave it 3 stars.

The last comic I picked up was Rick and Morty Volume 1 by Zac Gorman. I have watched all four seasons of Rick and Morty and love the dark humor and wacky adventures. This first volume contained five stories that extend the show. It was just pure fun. I gave it 4 stars and will definitely be picking up the next volume.

I also read a middle grade book called Show Me a Sign by Ann Clare LeZotte. This was a historical fiction based on an island near Martha's Vineyard that had a really high population of Deaf people. The people on this island created their own sign language in order to communicate and everyone (even hearing people) used it. The plot starts when a scientist comes to study the island to try to figure out why so many people are Deaf. This was riveting and it spurred me to learn more about this historical area. I gave it 4 stars.

The last book I finished in December was A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens. I listened to the Audible version that Tim Curry narrates. I'd never read the book but had seen different movie versions and was mostly aware of the story. This was so enjoyable. Tim Curry should narrate everything! Additionally, I'd heard Dickens was difficult to read because he was so verbose but I found it very accessible. I will definitely be picking up his work in the future. I gave it 5 stars.




No comments:

Post a Comment