Friday, March 1, 2019

Wrap up #4

This past week I've finished two books.

Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens is an historical fiction with two timelines. In the first, we get to know Kya who mother, then siblings, and then whose father all abandon her. She grows up by herself in the shack in the marsh, eschewing relationships with most other people. The second timeline is several years later, where local cops are trying to solve a murder of a popular former athlete. Eventually, the two timelines merge. While I loved the survival parts of the story, the murder part was uninteresting to me. The writing was incredibly beautiful, I could tell the author put a lot of effort into the nature writing. I gave the book

Then I picked up This is How it Always Is by Laurie Frankel. This is an adult contemporary story about a woman who has five sons, though her youngest is a transgender girl. The parents navigate this change with acceptance but find challenges with other people who don't want to accept her. Their journey was eye-opening and informative to read about. I gave the book 4 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment