Wednesday, March 27, 2019

March Wrap Up #2

I've read three books since I've last updated you.

First I finished The Girl Who Drank the Moon by Kelly Barnhill. This was a cute middle grade fantasy about a witch, abandoned babies, and a girl who became "enmagicked" by drinking moonlight. While this is satisfying for children, there are definitely deeper messages of government with absolute power. I really enjoyed it and gave it 4 stars.

Then I picked up American Prison by Shane Bauer. He is a journalist who went undercover as a guard in a private prison in the south and wrote about the terrible conditions for both guards and prisoners, the effect privatizing has on prisons, and even history of how ours prisons have evolved. This was hard to read because it made me so angry. I gave the book 4 stars.

Lastly, I finished I Let You Go by Clare Macintosh. This is a thriller about a hit-and-run that kills a five year old boy.  We follow multiple perspectives to find out what happened. I liked the twists and was pretty engaged the whole time. I gave the book 4 stars.


No comments:

Post a Comment