Thursday, October 11, 2018

Weekly Wrap Up 2

This week I've finished 2 books.

The first was A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson. This was a non-fiction account of Bryson hiking parts of the Appalachian Trail. This reminded me a lot of Wild by Cheryl Strayed where she hiked the Pacific Crest Trail but this was written in the early 1990s. It's interesting, and sometimes funny but I didn't feel it varied much at all. The gist = hiking sucks. I gave it 3 stars for making me laugh.

Then I read A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini. This was a heartbreaking story of two girls and how their lives were affected by the constant turmoil in Afghanistan. The way women are treated in this terribly primitive society was appalling. I loved these characters, was broken by the trauma they endure, and was ultimately crying at the beautiful ending. I gave this 4.5 stars. I will be seeking out his other books because he just may be a new favorite writer for me.

These two ticked off two challenges for my Charms Extra Credit Readathon. I'm unsure if I'll be able to finish another one before the readathon is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment