Thursday, August 23, 2018

August Wrap Up 2

In the last 10 days or so, I've finished 2 books. I'm definitely feeling a little slump-y which has probably contributed to my slower pace.

The first I finished was Lair of Dreams by Libba Bray. This is the second in the Diviners series. It is a YA paranormal mystery set in the 1920s. Because its the second book in the series, I can't reveal much but it is about young people with special paranormal powers who band together to fight a source of evil. This book is over 600 pages and it definitely felt like the story dragged a bit but overall it was an engaging read. The audiobook was enjoyable, though nothing special. I gave this 3 stars.

The second was Sick by Porochrista Khakpour. This was a memoir written by a woman dealing with late-stage Lyme's disease and how it affects her life, her relationships, her job, everything. I really related to this because I have a chronic illness. It really felt like I had a friend who understood, and someone I could commiserate with. I don't think this book is for everyone but hopefully it will be a source of comfort for the chronically ill, and a wealth of information to help others understand. I do admit, due to her illness, the writing is not super organized. That was the reason I gave the book 4 stars.

I am in the middle of two more and I'm hoping to finish them before the end of this month.

No comments:

Post a Comment