Monday, August 13, 2018

August Wrap Up 1

I'm still busy unpacking so I didn't have time to write a post earlier. The past (nearly) 2 weeks I've read three books.

The first was Charlie Bone and the Castle of Mirrors by Jenny Nimmo. This was to get an "Acceptable" grade in Charms. This was the fourth book in the series. I'm enjoying it but I feel like the characters are either good or evil; no in-between. This book did introduce some new characters but they quickly left. Overall, it was entertaining but not as good as some of the others. I gave it 3 stars.

Then I read What Lies Between Us by Nayomi Munaweera. This was a beautifully written and incredibly heartbreaking story of a Sri Lankan girl enduring trauma which bleeds into her life later as an adult. However, there was little that surprised me. From the very beginning, the author heavily foreshadows events which made the story predictable to me. I gave the book 3.5 stars. This earned me "Exceeds Expectations" for Charms.

Lastly, I read When I Hit You by Meena Kandasamy. Trigger warnings for abuse and rape. The book is not very long, but I had to keep putting it down because of the visceral reaction I kept having regarding the treatment of the main character. It made me cry, it made me angry, it broke my heart. The book is about an Indian woman living with a husband who abuses her in every way possible. Her family and society expect her to not only put up with it, but put the blame on her telling her she should change herself to please him better. The only thing I didn't like about the book is the author is a poet and that was evident with the flowery language and odd symbolic tangents. The writing style just wasn't to my liking and so I gave it 3 stars. This earned me "Outstanding" in Charms.


Yay! I've earned 1 N.E.W.T. so far. I'm hoping to earn 1 or 2 more!

No comments:

Post a Comment