Monday, July 9, 2018

July Week 1 Wrap Up

Well, I'm back from vacation during which I was able to read two books. However, they were two I wasn't expecting on reading. I started I Let You Go by Clare Mackintosh but after about 15 pages, it just wasn't holding my attention. So I picked up random books.

The first one I finished was The Diviners by Libba Bray. This is a historical fiction and paranormal book. This is not typically my genre but I found it a fun and compelling read. The book is set in 1920s New York about people with special abilities called the diviners. They work together to get rid of an evil threat which is murdering people in a ritualistic way trying to bring about the apocalypse. It kept me on the edge of my seat and was very creepy. I found the 20's slang to be a little annoying and over the top, but overall, I rated this book 4 stars. I'm eager to pick up the next one.

The second book I finished was The Wonder by Emma Donaghue. I've read her first book Room and enjoyed that so I had high hopes for this one. This is a historical fiction book set in the 1850s in Ireland about a little girl who doesn't eat. The village people think it is a miracle that she is subsisting on "manna from Heaven" and arrange for two nurses to watch her around the clock to prove she isn't eating. I was enjoying it for a while, then started to find it a little repetitive and tedious, but then in the last third, there were a lot of surprises which captured my attention.  It was amusing but in a horrifying and saddening way. Overall, I gave the book 3 stars.

Now, I start packing and moving. I'll try to update what I read but it'll probably be sporadic.

No comments:

Post a Comment