Friday, July 20, 2018

July Wrap up 2

Oh my gosh! I've been so busy lately. I've also been reminded how much I hate packing. I'm seriously considering just giving away everything so I don't have to pack anymore. Reasonable?

However, I've managed to read three more books. (Audiobooks for the win!)

The first was The Book of Essie by Megan Mclean Weir. I had put a hold on this from my library and it became available. (This was a physical book, not audio.) I contemplated just giving up my spot in line and getting at the back but I realized I'd have to wait 4 months if I did that so I decided to give it a go. I read this book in 2 days. The book is about Essie, a famous reality star known for her religious family. She gets pregnant and the book is about her figuring out what to do. While not particularly literary, it was gripping and an entertaining read. Trigger warnings for rape. I gave the book 4 stars.

The second was an audiobook of a children's classic I had never read: The Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell. This focused on a girl, surviving alone on an island. It kept my interest, but I definitely would have been more enthralled with her story of survival as a child. I picked this up to fulfill one of my reading challenges "a story on the sea" but ultimately decided it didn't qualify. I gave the book 3 stars.

The third book I listened to was Final Girls by Riley Sager. This was a slow start. (Not super promising for a thriller.) But the characters were interesting and there was enough of a mystery that I wanted to keep reading. The last third was action-packed and definitely contained some twists I didn't see coming. Overall I enjoyed the plot but the writing was redundant and not anything special. I probably won't pick up his other book. I gave the book 3 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment