Thursday, June 28, 2018

Last week Wrap Up

This week I only read 1 book but it was a 5 star read. I read Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates and I absolutely connected with this book.

This book is about a crumbling toxic marriage and the delusions of the American Dream. Neither of the main characters were very likable but they were incredibly real. The book is set in the 1950's. The husband Frank has taken a dull job, has a wife and two kids that he didn't really want, and is a deeply selfish and flawed character. The wife April is stuck as a housewife with two children and she leads a very unfulfilling life. The author masterfully weaves this story in which the ideas of conformity and the American Dream are dismantled. This is a character study (which I'm finding is what I really like) of losing your identity. It is hard to read but so worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment