Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Third Week Wrap Up

My reading has slowed a bit this past week. I've been ill which has led to not picking up as many books. Still, I've managed to read 3 books.

I picked up In Order to Live by Yeonmi Park. This was a memoir of a young woman's escape from North Korea. This was unbelievably sad but ended on a happy and hopeful note. I was apprehensive because the last memoir I tried to read was about Malala and it was terribly written but this was very easy to understand. All sorts of trigger warnings for this. This was my book club pick. I gave it 4 stars.


Then I was able to get ahold of Persepolis 2. This finishes out the memoir of Marjane Satrapi, focusing on her teen and adult years. I didn't think this one was as good as the first because she became a drug user and a whiner which made her less likable. However, I still ended up giving it 3 stars.


Lastly, I read Heartburn by Nora Ephron. I chose this because it was supposed to be funny. Let me tell you, it was not. It was a rambling mess of a marriage crumbling due to infidelity. In addition, she kept adding recipes in the middle of the plot, which seemed to me to only pad the length of this short book. I liked the main character. She seemed real and complex. I gave this book 1.5-2 stars.

After an amazing start to the month, I need to choose wisely so I can end with some great books too.

No comments:

Post a Comment