Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Second Week Wrap Up

I'm trying to post more often that way my feelings on the books is "fresher." I think this is going to be the year of graphic novels. I read more graphic novels these last 2 weeks than I've ever read in my life.

So the first book I picked up this week was A Brief History of Time Lords by Steve Tribe. I'm a huge Doctor Who fan although I've almost exclusively watched the "new Who" episodes, the ones from 2005-2017. I felt a lot of the information was based on the old episodes which made it slightly less fun to read. I gave it 3 stars.

Then I picked up the graphic novel Seconds by Bryan Lee O'Malley. Again, it was okay. It had an interesting time-traveling plot but overall was a little predictable. 3 stars.

Then I continued my graphic novel streak with Honor Girl by Maggie Thrash. This was a graphic memoir of her coming to terms with her sexuality at a summer camp. I really enjoyed this but felt the ending was a bit anti-climatic. 4 Stars

Then I picked up the 5th Harry Potter book. Oh, so good. I breezed through it in 2 days. . My absolute favorite one. 5 Stars

Then I picked up another graphic novel, this time called My Friend Dahmer by Derf Backderf. This was a true story of a friend of Jeffery Dahmer who knew him in middle/high school. This was absolutely fascinating and I didn't think it possible to feel sorry for a serial killer. But oh man did he have a rough childhood. 4 Stars

I also read The Miseducation of Cameron Post by Emily M. Danforth which is about a lesbian who gets sent to a religious "get straight" camp. I was really enjoying it for the first half, but the last half languished. It was too long but also didn't have a very satisfying ending point. I gave it 3 stars.

My kindle ebook of Dark Matter by Blake Crouch was about to expire (from the library) so I picked that one up next. This was so good. I read this in one day. I couldn't put it down. Some of it was a bit too overwhelming and mind-bending but overall such an enjoyable read. 4 Stars.

Lastly, I picked up Sex Criminals by Matt Fraction. I read on a list that this was a good graphic novel. It was also for the popsugar challenge of "reading a local author." OH MY GOD! So terrible.  Not funny, not sexy, not interesting. Very confusing in terms of time jumps. One page she's a little girl, the next she's a teenager/adult, then back to childhood. 1 star


Yes, I read 8 books this week. I am on a roll. And I don't know if you noticed but a lot of them were on my original January TBR list.

No comments:

Post a Comment