Friday, August 20, 2021

July Wrap Up

 In July I was ill but I managed to read 5 books. I have since not been reading so there won't be an August TBR.

The first book I finished was Malibu Rising by Taylor Jenkins Reid. This is my fourth book of hers I've read, and I will say she does a good job creating fake celebrities. The book focuses on a family whose father is a rock star and the impact he has on them. I enjoyed it and felt it was a compulsive read, but pretty forgettable. I gave it 3 stars.

Then I listened to The Secret of Platform 13 by Eva Ibbotson. This is a children's fantasy story about a magical land that can only be accessed for a limited time and a child is stolen. A band of magical people vow to get him back. I enjoyed it but wanted more. I gave it 3 stars.

Next I picked up Dealing with Dragons by Patrica Wrede. A cute story about a princess who runs off to live with dragons and doesn't want the knight to rescue her. I gave it 3 stars.

Afterwards, I read The Space Between Stars by Michaiah Johnson. I really enjoyed this science fiction story about a woman who could travel to parallel universes. While it took a while to get going, I really enjoyed the main characters and how the story resolved. I gave this 4 stars and will eagerly anticipate any future books by this author.

Lastly, I picked up the novella The Psalm of the Wild-Built by Becky Chambers. She is one of my favorite authors, but this was not on her usual level. I felt the characters were undeveloped, her world-building was almost non-existent, and no real plot. It felt like a slog to get through. I gave it 2 stars.



No comments:

Post a Comment