Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Mid-Month Check In

So far in the first half on July I've finished 4 books. I find I don't read quite as much when I don't have a TBR but I've also been distracted with more t.v. and movies lately which factors into it.

I picked up The Child Finder by Rene Denfield. This was a mystery about a woman with a mysterious past searching for lost or kidnapped children. She herself had been abducted at some point and escaped at age 9-10 but had no memories of that time. While the story focusing on the present was good, I wanted to know more about her past. There is a sequel that I'll eventually be picking up. I gave the book 4 stars.

Then I picked up Heartstopper Volume 3 by Alice Oseman. This is such a delightful story about high school romance between two boys. This volume specifically also addresses eating disorders and self harm which wasn't presented in any sort of a preachy way although it could've used a bit more attention. I gave the book 4 stars and will pick up Volume 4 whenever it eventually comes out. 

Since I had been in a mood for more non-fiction, I then chose Behind the Beautiful Forevers by Katherine Boo. The author focused on a slum in Mumbai, India and the daily lives of a few families and individuals who were working so hard to improve their lives. There is focus on the corruption in the police and politicians, the tensions between Hindus and Muslims, and poor families tearing down other poor families due to envy. It was utterly heartbreaking to read and so compelling I had to remind myself that these were all true events and real people. I gave the book 5 stars and would highly recommend!

Next I reread A Closed and Common Orbit by Becky Chambers. I loved revisiting this world and these characters. There are two timelines, Pepper's childhood and the present-day. They eventually intertwine but I definitely preferred the past storyline. After finishing I really wanted to pick up the next book but have so many other new books to read I have to just wait a bit longer. I gave the book 4 stars.

I am currently reading two others which I hope to include in the end of month wrap up.

No comments:

Post a Comment