Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Books I've DNF'd in the first half of the year

These are all the books I started and chose to quit this year. I'm a mood reader and sometimes I'm just in the wrong mood for a book. Others just don't grab me or are terribly written. I'll give a quick reason why I DNF'd each of these.

1. Her Body and Other Parties by Carmen Maria Machado
Basically, I tried to read this on two separate occasions. I think her writing was really boring but I also don't like short story collections so a total miss for me. I got about 45% into it.

2. The Girl with No Names by Serena Burdick
I felt this book was mis-marketed and I wasn't getting the book they described. The characters were flat and one-dimensional. Gave up about the 40% mark.

3.The Subtle Knife by Phillip Pullman
I read the first book and thought it was okay and eager to see where it picked up. Definitely wasn't the right mood for such a slow book. Only read about 20% before quitting.

4. The Illness Season by Clare Beams
I didn't give this a real chance, probably only 15 pages but I didn't get on with the writing.

5. Bossypants by Tina Fey
Another book that I gave two separate chances but just thought it wasn't funny. Her stories seemed to lack direction and I didn't care.

6. The Vanderbeekers at 141st Street by Karina Yan Glaser
I picked this up recently just wanting a light fluffy middle-grade and had heard some good stuff on Youtube about it. It just didn't grab me and I know I wasn't the target audience so I put it down after about 60 pages.

7. The Overstory by Richard Powers
I might try this again but I read about 25 pages and felt like nothing was happening. The focus was so much on setting and skipped over what I thought would've been interesting. It was not the right timing so I'll try when I want a much slower book.

No comments:

Post a Comment