Monday, July 15, 2019

June Wrap up #2

For the second half of June, I completed 3 books.

I read Rabbit-Proof Fence by Doris Pilkington. This is based on a true story set in Australia about three girls who are half white and half Aboriginal who are sent to a settlement to learn to assimilate. They are not allowed to speak in their native language and so they decide to walk all the way back to their hometown. This journey which was over 1,000 miles was harrowing and intriguing but the pacing of this journey was plodding and boring. The author includes lots of historical documents, proving parts of the story but all in all, it didn't capture my attention. The writing was very stilted and very little time was actually focused on the running away. I gave it 2 stars.



Then I decided to pick up a classic gay novel for Pride Month so I chose A Single Man by Christopher Isherwood. This story is a day in the life of a middle-age gay professor who is still dealing with grief of losing his partner to an unexpected death. The writing was spectacular, profound, and heart-wrenching. Even little things that most people do without thinking caused a rushing of thoughts of his partner. The ending nearly made me cry. I gave the book 4 stars.

Lastly, I picked up A Winter's Promise by Christelle Dabos. This was a book I chose to re-read in preparation for picking up the sequel. I enjoyed it nearly as much as I did the first time but noticed more problems than my first read through. I ended up giving it 3.5 stars. (down from my original 4)

No comments:

Post a Comment