Friday, December 14, 2018

Weekly Update 2

This past week I've finished two books.

The first was Going Postal by Terry Pratchett. This is one of his many Discworld books (and excitingly my first!) The premise is that a con man who is about to hang for his many crimes is given a chance by a politician to become a postmaster of a now-defunct post office. This was a hilarious book, with many tongue-in-cheek moments that made me laugh out loud. I gave it 4 stars and will definitely pick up more.

The second was was A Ladder to the Sky by John Boyne. I was hesitant to pick up another book by John Boyne after loving The Heart's Invisible Furies so much earlier this year. However, he is a skilled and prolific writer so I picked up his latest novel. I admit, it was a bit odd. There were multiple points of view with a central protagonist. I often didn't know whose points of view we were reading until well into the chapter which I found confusing. The story is of Maurice Swift, an ambitious writer who will do anything to succeed. He is incredibly unlikable but once I knew whose head we were in, I found the story engaging and that ending was phenomenal! I gave this book 4 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment