Friday, December 7, 2018

Weekly Update 1

This week I read two books.

I read The Dreamers by Karen Thompson Walker. I posted a standalone review for this book and will summarize. The book is about a mysterious sleeping sickness that quickly infects a small college town in California. The book focuses on too many characters which inhibited my ability to really connect with any of them. It was initially very exciting but started to drag in the middle. I gave it 3 stars.

The second book was a memoir called When Broken Glass Floats by Chanrithy Him. This was her account of growing up in Cambodia under the Khmer Rouge. She and her family, along with huge populations of cities, were sent to labor camps where many died. They died from starvation, easily preventable illnesses, or were straight-up murdered by the Khmer Rouge. They were trying to implement a communist society run entirely by peasant farmers and were not accepting of anyone educated. This was a horrific, yet riveting tale which illuminated a situation I didn't know much about. I gave the book 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment