Sunday, December 30, 2018

Last December Update

These past couple weeks I participated in the Magical Readathon hosted by G over at Book Roast.
This is what I read:

Finish your coursework: Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
I thought this was fairly saccharine but overall a cute story with likable characters. I gave it 3.5 stars.

Help Hagrid decorate the trees: Girls of Paper and Fire by Natasha Ngan
I was really enjoying this story about a low-caste girl being selected as a king's concubine and rebelling against her position. I thought it might even possibly be a 5 stars book until the ending which I thought was very lackluster. It's obviously setting up for another book, possibly more. I gave it 3.5 stars.

Meet at the 3 Broomsticks for some mulled wine: Sea Prayer by Khaled Hosseini
This was a short picture book about a father trying to get his son out of war-torn Syria. Their journey is dangerous but the best option they have. It was incredibly moving but I wish it had a bit more. I gave it 4 stars.

Give Dobby some socks: The Space Between Us by Thrity Umrigar
This was an interesting look into caste systems in India. It is about two women and how their lives intertwine. The characters were incredibly well developed but I was dissatisfied with the ending and it chooses a big moment in a character's life to just stop. I gave the book 4 stars.

Wear a Molly Weasley sweater: Saga Volume 9 by Brian K. Vaughn and Fiona Staples
Oh, I love Saga and this was a great one. It ties up some of the running story elements and is incredibly sad. I loved it. I gave it 5 stars.


After that I watched Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone with my family on Christmas Eve.

I haven't read anything else and probably won't until January. Happy New Year everyone!



No comments:

Post a Comment