Sunday, December 19, 2021

DNF'd books in the second half of the year

 I'm getting better with stopping a book when I'm not enjoying it. As a result, the majority of my reading were rated 4 and 5 stars. Sometimes I worried I wasn't giving the book enough of a chance, but there are so many books that interest me, so I have to draw the line somewhere. These are the books I decided not to finish in the second half of the year.

All the Names Given by Raymond Antrobus. This is his second poetry collection. I enjoyed his first, but these poems didn't impact me and after reading 60% of it, I decided to stop wasting my time.

She Who Became the Sun by Shelley Parker-Chan. I read 200+ pages when I decided that it wasn't holding my attention. The narrative seemed meandering and more focused on war than I wanted. Definitely a taste thing, nothing wrong with the book itself.

We Run the Tides by Vendela Vida. I only read 4 or 5 chapters but felt bored.

Sabrina by Nick Drnaso. This is a graphic novel that won awards but I have no idea why. The art is plain and so nondescript, I couldn't tell if the characters were male or female or who any of them were. The plot wasn't at all compelling so I put it down.

The Betrayals by Bridget Collins. This is her second book and I decided to pick it up after loving her debut. While her writing was pretty, it felt like nothing was happening. This was quite disappointing.

Only 5 in the last six months. I hope that indicates that I'm getting better at predicting which books I'll enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment