Tuesday, March 16, 2021

Trying out the Book Oracle at my Library

 My library has started a new service where you can fill out a short reading survey, and in 1 week, they will curate a list of 8-10 books for you to read. I already have so many on my TBR but was hoping it might overlap with my current TBR to let me know what to prioritize. Even if it's all new books, that's fun too! Here's the info I put in, and here's what they recommended.

I liked fantasy, science fiction, and literary fiction. I mentioned I do not like stream of consciousness, war, or romance. I also included some favorite books and authors. I wanted strong friendships and inclusive writing.

Here's what I was recommended:

Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik- This wasn't on my list but I recently read another book by Novik that I really enjoyed so I'll add it to my ever-expanding TBR.

On Earth We're Briefly Gorgeous by Ocean Vuong- Also not on my list but definitely fits a lot of my criteria.

The House in the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune- An absolute favorite. I wish I could read it again for the first time.

A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab- I've read it but didn't want to continue on.

Pachinko by Min Jin Lee- On my TBR. Probably will move it up.

All Systems Red by Martha Wells- I've also read this and enjoyed it. Perhaps I should continue on in the series.

Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi- Also read and really enjoyed

Another Brooklyn by Jacqueline Woodson- Another I've already read but thought was "meh"

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams- Another I've read and enjoyed.


Of these 9, I've read 6 so they were pretty spot-on with my tastes. I'll try it again in a few months and with different criteria to see what else I'm recommended. Maybe I should link my goodreads account next time so they don't duplicate books I've already read. 

No comments:

Post a Comment