Wednesday, September 16, 2020

September Mid-month Wrap Up

 Thus far, I've read 4 books. That's lower than normal but some of these books were longer than my typical read.

I re-read A Winter's Promise and The Missing of Clairedelune by Christelle Dabos in preparation for the third book. I enjoyed these even more the second time. I think the world building is great and I am eager to learn even more.

Then I picked up The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennett. This has been so hyped that I was sure I would be disappointed but it lived up to it. This is somewhat of a retelling of Passing by Nella Larsen. The book is about two light-skinned black sisters who go their separate ways. One decides to "pass" as a white person, marrying a white man and leaving her family behind. The other sister lives as a black woman and raises a dark-skinned daughter. The story is about the sisters but also about their daughters who go on to meet. I loved the very realistic characters and learned about colorism within the black community. I would've given this book 5 stars except the ending seemed very abrupt, almost like she didn't know how to end the story. Even with the unsatisfying ending, I gave the book 4 stars.

Lastly, I read Cottonmouths by Kelly J. Ford. It is set in a small rural town in Arkansas. Emily has failed out of college and makes her way back to her parent's house. She reconnects with her former best friend and childhood crush. This book is like watching a train wreck as Emily's life falls more and more apart. After a bit of a slow start, by the second day I couldn't put it down and finished it in two sittings. I gave it 4.5 stars and will definitely read anything else this author puts out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment