Sunday, September 22, 2019

September Wrap Up #1

So I've done a poor job updating you on my reading but so far I've been sticking pretty close to my TBR.

I'm going to split this into two parts, the first covering the first five books I read this month.

I picked up the graphic memoir Hostage by Guy Delisle. This was his account of being kidnapped in a part of Russia during his time with Doctors Without Borders. The story was captivating but also captured the boredom he endured being trapped in a small room for weeks on end. The art style wasn't my favorite, with only shades of blue and gray but his story was definitely interesting. This was translated from French. I gave it 3 stars.

Then I listened to Before I go to Sleep by S.J. Watson This is a amnesia thriller about a woman who loses her memory every night when she goes to sleep. She starts to embark on writing down her truths and finds she cannot trust her husband. Is he lying to protect her or is he hiding something? This was a bit unbelievable but still a compelling read. I will say that there is not much of a twist but since I do not read many thrillers, I did not need something too shocking. I gave it 2.5 stars.

Eagerly, I picked up my pre-order To be Taught, If Fortunate by Becky Chambers. I have read her three previous books and enjoyed them immensely, but unfortunately, I was disappointed by this novella. I think the thing Becky Chambers does best is create really well-rounded characters but because she decided to use the majority of the book with world-building instead, the characters were pretty flat. It is an adventure story of future astronauts going on a habitable world tour to learn more about different planets that can host human life. There were some interesting ideas on how they could adapt to specific challenges but overall, I just wanted more. I gave it 2.5 stars.

After reading some meh books, I decided to listen to a re-read of Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling. I find listening to a favorite can sometimes jump start me out of a slump. It was phenomenal and I finished it within a few days. I'm hoping to hold on to this last one so I can finish sometime around Christmas.

Finally, my library hold on The Nickel Boys by Colson Whitehead came in. This is a story based on a real-life reform school in Florida. The story is about a teen boy named Elwood who has a promising future when a simple association with crime gets him sent to this school. The corruption, beatings, and sexual assaults are horrifying and it especially hurts because he doesn't deserve to be there. This left a strong impression and I will search out other books by this author. I gave the book 4 stars.




No comments:

Post a Comment