Monday, August 26, 2019

August Wrap up #3

Since I've updated you, I've read three more books.

I picked up An Unrestored Woman by Shoba Rao which is a collection of paired short stories focusing on the partition of India and Pakistan. While I knew little about the historical event, I don't felt this shed much light on it. The stories were overall bleak but forgettable. I gave the collection 2 stars.

Then I listened to the audiobook of The Binding by Bridget Collins. This is a magical realism story about book bindings. People go to a book binder to remove unwanted memories and store them safely in a book. The book is about Emmett, who becomes a bookbinder apprentice and learns there's a book with his name on it. What did he choose to forget? It was gripping, beautifully written, with lovely and flawed characters. I really enjoyed it and know I'll want to reread in the future. I gave it 4.5 stars.

Lastly, I read Spellslinger by Sebastien de Castell. This is a YA fantasy about Kellen who lives in a society where magic=power and he has very little. He uses trickery to enhance his small amount of magic. This was very fast paced and made me want to pick up the next in the series. I gave it 4 stars.

With only about a week left in the month, I'm unsure if I'll finish anything else before September.

No comments:

Post a Comment