Thursday, January 10, 2019

First Weekly Wrap Up

This week I've finished three books.

The first I finished was The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin. This is a children's classic mystery surrounding a murder and the will instructing possible heirs to solve the murder in order to inherit the estate and pile of money. I definitely didn't figure it out and there were some interesting twists but overall I was bored. I kept forcing myself to pick it back up. Overall I gave it 3 stars (although it's probably closer to a 2.5)

The next book I finished was The Unkindness of Ghosts by Rivers Solomon. This was a science fiction book all about a caste system on the ship (higher levels for more powerful people, slaves towards the bottom). The story focused on Aster, a slave girl orphaned by her mother who killed herself. She is a doctor's apprentice and the conditions she sees (especially in the lower decks) was abominable. The guards routinely hurt women (physically and sexually) and life is pretty grim. I gave the book 3.5 stars because I liked the ending and Aster's character arc.

Lastly, I read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows. This book surprised me. I knew it was written entirely in letters and was a historical fiction book set around the timing of World War 2 but that's all I knew. It's funny, charming, and the characters are warm, interesting people. Juliet is a writer and is wanting to find out more about the German occupation of English islands during World War 2. She starts writing letters to a group of people on the island, and eventually goes to meet and interview them for a story. This was such a delight to read and I finished it quickly. I gave the book 4 stars.

I am in the middle of another book but will report my thoughts on it next week.
Cheers to the excellent start of 2019!

No comments:

Post a Comment