Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Weekly Wrap Up 3

Weekly Wrap Up 3


Because of the holiday that is coming up, I've decided to post a couple days early. I will be too busy to read anymore or write up a thorough review.


I've completed three books this week. The first one I finished was I'll be Gone in the Dark by Michelle McNamara. This was a posthumously published novel about the Golden State Killer, a man who committed over 50 rapes, countless robberies and break-ins, and killed at least 10 people. He targeted middle class and well-to-do neighborhoods in California in the 1970s and 1980s. After targeting single women, he then upped the ante by targeting couples. This book was incredibly scary because he got away with it for so long. He was recently caught in April of this year at the age of 72. I wished I could give this book 5 stars, but with it being incomplete when the author died, and her friends and colleagues piecing together what they could, it only garnered 4 stars from me.


The next book I devoured was Wundersmith: The Calling of Morrigan Crow by Jessica Townsend. This is the second book in the series. This is a middle grade fantasy focused on Morrigan Crow in the whimsical land of Nevermoor. This book picks up where the first ended, focused more on the magical school and the mysterious disappearances of magical people. I loved the world building, the exploration of different abilities, and meeting new characters. I gave the book 5 stars and am eagerly awaiting book 3.




Lastly, I read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick. This is what the movie Blade Runner was loosely based on. This might be the first case for me personally where a movie was better than the book. The movie cut out all the boring parts. Dick creates Mercerism (a religion) and a devotion to animals as an example of how humans are superior (empathy). It felt needless and altogether quite boring. The "love" story felt instantaneous and I never really felt it was explained why the androids had to be "retired" (or murdered) I gave the book 2 stars as there were a few scenes that were quite entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment