Friday, May 25, 2018

Third Week Wrap Up

This week I read two books.

As an effort to get out of my slump, I read my all-time favorite book: A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith. This is a historical fiction coming of age tale. Its incredibly character-driven and just wonderfully descriptive. I decided to listen to this on audiobook and found it very enjoyable. (excepting the random jazz notes in between the narration.) It took me a while to read this but I loved listening to it. I gave it 5 stars.

Then I picked up The Home for Unwanted Girls by Joanna Goodman. This was a new book from the library and had several holds on it which spurred me to pick it up. Also a historical fiction, based on the fact that Canada turned orphanages into mental institutions to get more federal money. What happened to the children in those orphanages is a horrifying tale. The book focuses on a teen mother who is forced to give up her child and contains alternating points of view from both the mother and her child. I found it a very compelling read and rated it 4 stars.


It's likely that will be all I read for May. I haven't picked anything else up and haven't been in the mood. If I do pick something up, I will update you.

No comments:

Post a Comment