Thursday, May 17, 2018

Second Week Wrap Up

The slump continues.

I picked up The Girl with All the Gifts by M.R. Carey because I was sort of trying to follow to Buzzword Readathon hosted by Kayla from BooksandLala and Dylan from DylantheReader on Youtube. I timed it wrong and actually only read one book last week that qualified but I still picked this one up after the readathon had ended.

I ended up really liking this story. Zombie books are not generally my type but this was very different. It was very character-driven and philosophical, which I really appreciated. In addition, I loved the main character Melanie. I listened to this on audiobook and even though its a longer book, I finished it quickly. I gave it 4 stars.

That still didn't really break my slump. I then started a few other audiobooks but quickly stopped them because I just couldn't be bothered. So I decided to turn to a light and fluffy book written by an author I liked.

I read One True Loves by Taylor Jenkins Reid. This was incredibly predictable, and somewhat irritating because of an indecisive protagonist. But I enjoyed the story in the process and liked the simplicity. I gave it 3 stars. It's nowhere near as good as The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo but it'll do if you just want a light fluffy contemporary romance.

Some may think that two books in a week isn't really a slump but for me, it is. Not only is my quantity of reading reduced, but my enjoyment is too. I'm hoping to turn it around soon because I had a lot of holds from the library become available and I've already had to return some because I didn't read them quickly enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment