Monday, October 16, 2017

October Mid-Month Wrap-Up

Hi everyone!

I have read 7 books so far, though not all of them were originally on my TBR. I will list the books and give them a star rating out of 5. These are in chronological order, not rating order.

1. Every Heart a Doorway by Seanan McGuire
3.5 stars  The writing seemed pretty amateurish including so many similes and it ended pretty abruptly. However, it had an interesting concept so I will probably pick up the sequel.

2. Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops by Jen Campbell
4 stars. Funny but too short. I wanted more. I know there is a sequel so I'll probably pick it up in the future. Very reminiscent of a coffee table book.

3. Saga Volume 4 by Brian K. Vaughn
4 stars. The many plotlines are getting a bit confusing but it ended on a cliffhanger and I'm on my library's waitlist to get the next one. I'm eagerly anticipating what will come next.

4. Quidditch Through the Ages by J.K. Rowling
3 stars. I've desperately wanting to re-read Harry Potter and thought a taste might satisfy my craving. It was somewhat interesting but I had hoped for more anecdotes rather than just "facts" that seemed pulled from thin air.

5.  The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater
3 stars. This was really good. I did see a minor plot twist coming but another one took me by surprise. The characters were pretty likable and I look forward to reading the next one.

6.  The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson
4 stars. I feel like if I had read this when it first came out back in the 1800s I would have been totally blown away. However, I was familiar with the plot twist. It still made me think a lot about the duality of man and how our choices shape who we become. This may be my new favorite classic. The writing is a bit slow but incredibly thought-provoking.

7. Warcross by Marie Lu
4 stars. I really liked this. Again, there were two plot twists. I guessed one and the other surprised me. It definitely set up for a sequel which I will eagerly read whenever it comes out. The writing was a little bit redundant sometimes but overall plot was interesting.

So if anyone is keeping score, I've only read 4 on my original TBR list. I did start The Ninth Hour and Briar Rose but have put them down and not picked them back up. I probably will read them at some point but right now I'm not in the mood.

No comments:

Post a Comment