Wednesday, June 8, 2022

June Wrap Up Part 1

 I've read a ton of short things so I wanted to do a wrap up of what I've read so far.

The first short story I picked up was Randomize by Andy Weir. I love Weir for his great characters and humor but sadly, there just wasn't enough time to develop the characters much. It focuses on technology and gambling but the ending surprised me so I gave it 3 stars.

I read Pet by Awkaeke Emezi. I loved their writing but similarly felt this book was too short. I wanted more character development and world building. The story focuses on Jam, a 17 year old trans girl whose mother's painting comes to life. The painting, known as "Pet" has come alive to fight a monster in Jam's best friend's house. While this wasn't my favorite, I really did like the writing style and will pick up more from this author. I gave it 3 stars.

Then I reread Nimona by Noelle Stevenson. I paired the audiobook with the graphic novel for a fun immersive experience. I love the humor, the artwork, and the three central characters. I gave it 5 stars!\

I listened to the audiobook of Brokeback Mountain by Annie Proulx. Her descriptive writing was beautiful but I wished we had more time with the characters to make the ending more impactful. I guess I'm picky about short stories. I gave it 3.5 stars.

Lastly, I've read the comic Bingo Love by Tee Franklin. I read this for a Read Harder challenge but I'm so glad I did. This focuses on two young black girls who meet and become best friends and girlfriends. When their religious parents catch them, they are separated but reunite nearly 50 years later. The story is of their second chance love and I absolutely loved it. 5 stars!





No comments:

Post a Comment