Tuesday, February 1, 2022

January Wrap Up

 In January I read 8 books. What a great start to 2022 even though only 5 of them were planned!

I started with Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt. This was one of the oldest books on my shelves. It's a YA story about a young girl who loses her favorite uncle to AIDS, and then secretly befriends his boyfriend. This was a case of the right book at the right time. I grew so attached to the characters and ended up sobbing at the end. I gave it 5 stars.

Next I picked up the graphic novel The Magic Fish by Trung le Nguyen. This was a beautiful story about a young immigrant boy who is gay but doesn't know how to communicate with his mother. There were beautiful weaving of fairy tales into his story to tell his journey. I gave it 4 stars.

Then I read the ARC Cost of Living by Emily Maloney. I've written its own separate review but I gave it 4 stars.

Afterwards I read another ARC The Saints of Swallow Hill by Donna Everhart. Again, it has its own review and I gave it 4 stars.

On an impulse, I decided to listen to Wizards of Once by Cressida Cowell. This was narrated by David Tennant, whom I love. It was a bit slow but picked up quite a lot. I really enjoyed the story and the narration. I gave it 4 stars.

I read Kaffir Boy by Mark Mathabane. This is a memoir of a young man growing up in absolute squalor in apartheid South Africa during the 1960s-1980s. His story about being treated like a fourth class citizen and the fear of whites due to the excessive violence was absolutely eye-opening. He finds a way out and is one of the lucky ones. I gave it 4 stars.

Another whim, I decided to pick up David Copperfield by Charles Dickens. This was my second Dickens novel and I really enjoyed it. It focuses on the life of David Copperfield (based on Dickens himself) growing up and becoming a writer. While it definitely dragged some in the middle, I enjoyed this more than I expected and gave it 4 stars.

And lastly I read Oona Out of Order by Margarita Montimore. This was a fluffy fun story about a woman who time travels every year on her birthday to a different year of herself. On her 19th birthday, she suddenly wakes up in her 51 year old self. She attempts to change her future but ultimately accepts her weird quirk. Nothing serious but fun so I gave it 3 stars.




No comments:

Post a Comment