Sunday, November 1, 2020

October Final Wrap Up

 In the latter half of October, I read 4 books.

After loving Stuart Turton's debut book a couple years ago, I was excited to pick up The Devil in the Dark Water. A mystery happens on a boat with possible paranormal occurrences. The famous detective who could figure this out has been arrested and thrown into the brig so his bodyguard teams up with a noble lady to try to figure it out. This book read too long and dragged some in the middle. I also guessed a few of the twists but overall it was still enjoyable. I gave it 3.5 stars.

Then I read a book completely outside my wheelhouse for the Read Harder Challenge. I read It Takes Two to Tumble by Cat Sebastian. This was a queer historical romance between a vicar and a sea captain. The writing was decent and sometimes steamy and the conflict felt real. I gave it 3 stars.

After that, I finished The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue by V.E. Schwab. This is my third Schwab book and maybe she just isn't the writer for me. I knew this was going to be long and slow but because my library hold lists was for months, I made myself read it now. The character Addie makes a deal with the devil for immortality. However, in choosing it, she isn't ever remembered. Then when she's about 300, someone finally remembers her. How and why? I figured it out so there wasn't even a solid mystery pulling me through. Additionally, Schwab constantly repeats things in threes. This became quite annoying. I gave it 2.5 stars and I'm likely not to read her again.

Lastly, I picked up my pre-order of Hollowpox: The Hunt for Morrigan Crow by Jessica Townsend. This is the third in the series and is about a magical disease that targets specific groups of people in Nevermoor. The writing is so compelling and the themes so pure and wholesome. I loved reading this book and look forward to the next one. 5 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment