Thursday, October 1, 2020

September Wrap Up #2

 In the latter half of September, I read 3 books.

My favorite book of the month was Hamnet by Maggie O'Farrell. This was a historical fiction focusing on Shakespeare's family, specifically his son Hamnet who dies from the bubonic plague. The author does an amazing job making the characters feel real and the grief that Hamnet's mother goes through after the death absolutely made me sob. The writing is gorgeous and the pace is slow but has a way of drawing the reader in. I gave the book 5 stars and was overjoyed when it recently won the Women's Prize for fiction.

Then I finally read the third installment of The Mirror Visitor installment: The Memory of Babel by Christelle Dabos. I loved that we got to visit a different part of the world and find out even more about God and the history of the world. I really liked the scenes at The Pole, revisiting beloved characters from previous books. I wish there had been more of that to be honest. However, that ending made me gasp out loud. I'm eager to see how this series will finish off. I gave the book 4 stars.

Lastly, I read the ARC After Elias by Eddy Boudel Tan. I did a single review in the previous post so I'll just tell you I gave it 3.5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment