Tuesday, November 5, 2019

October Wrap Up #2

In the latter half of October, I've read three more books.

First I picked up an essay collection called Snape: A Definitive Reading by Lorrie Kim. It was a wonderful examination of Snape's character and motivations in each of the seven books. While in the beginning, I felt she was making conclusion with little or no real evidence, in the later books she had much more to back up her theories. She really opened my eyes to some particular motivations which I had seen through Harry's eyes, that is to say a biased perspective. I loved reading the essays and it nearly felt like I had found a new Harry Potter book. I enjoyed in immensely and gave the collection 5 stars.

Next, I picked up the seventh Harry Potter book to finish my re-read of the series. With fresh eyes, I could see the many layers of Snape's decisions throughout the story. I almost lamented that he wasn't in the story more. I grieved the loss of him in addition to Fred, Lupin, and Tonks. This is such a great series. I gave it 5 stars.

Lastly, I read We're Not Meeting in Real Life by Samantha Irby. This is a collection of essays covering various aspects of Irby's life. Many of them were funny and some were a bit gross. She suffers from Crohn's disease and has a number of digestive issues, some of which she details a bit too graphically. Overall, I gave the book 3 stars and would probably pick up more of her essays in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment