Monday, October 21, 2019

ARC review of Entanglement by Andrew J. Thomas

I received an ARC of Entanglement by Andrew J. Thomas.

The book opens with a secret government building just disappearing. Why did it disappear? Is it related to other odd things going on? The author says he was inspired by Douglas Adams who famously wrote The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. There was definitely some whimsy and absurd humor reminiscent of Adams which I liked. However, in the beginning, there are 5-6 main characters whose stories have not yet converged. Because the author chose to focus on so many characters, I felt they were one dimensional and I had trouble connecting with them. Additionally, the "mystery" of the disappeared building took too long to resolve. There wasn't enough intrigue and I felt the story only really got going in the last 20-25%. The last part was very enjoyable and Thomas set up the ending to have a sequel or two. I feel I'm unlikely to pick up the sequel but I haven't completely ruled it out. I gave the book 3 stars. I would definitely recommend for people who enjoyed The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and want another absurd sci-fi romp.

This book was released on September 10, 2019. Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC.

No comments:

Post a Comment